Go nuts with coconuts! Coconut beauty products and recipes
The coconut is such a versatile item. It can be used to make coconut beauty products and hair products or consumed for health benefits.
Natural coconut beauty products
Pure coconut oil can be applied to your face and body to infuse rich moisture into your skin without leaving a greasy residue. Coconut oil can be used as an at home beauty treatment for dry hair. Coconut water is also used in beauty products because it is full of amino acids and electrolytes that are great for hydrating and replenishing your skin.
Coconut oil for cooking
You can use coconut oil instead of processed vegetable oils for cooking. Coconut oil has a high smoke point so it can withstand high temperatures without changing the properties of the oil. Stir-frying shrimp or chicken in coconut oil will add a slightly coconutty flavor that is especially delicious if you are making Thai food.
Make your own coconut milk
Homemade coconut milk is the perfect dairy milk alternative, and it is really good for you. Coconuts are full of healthy fats that are actually good for your metabolism, so eating coconut can help you lose weight.
Making fresh coconut milk might sound daunting, but it is actually very simple and so delicious! All you need is coconut flakes and filtered water. Make sure your coconut flakes have no sugar added (the only ingredient should be dried coconut).
Now follow these steps:
1. Fill a saucepan with the coconut and cover it with filtered water.
2. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat (let cool for 30 min-1 hour).
3. Place some of the coconut and the water into a blender. You may need to do one half at a time- if it does not fit in the blender.
4. Blend the coconut until it is shredded into small pieces.
5. Strain the liquid through a fine sieve or cheesecloth and squeeze out all the milk by using a spoon to press down on the shredded coconut.
6. You can save the shredded coconut for baking or adding to your granola.
7. Fresh coconut milk will last up to 3-4 days in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
8. Now enjoy a cup of the most delicious coconut milk you’ve ever tasted!
It tastes creamy and just a tiny bit sweet, so you don’t even need to add sweetener. When you make something yourself you can guarantee that there are no extra ingredients, so you’ll be able to enjoy 100% pure coconut milk. You can pour your freshly made coconut milk over cereal or use it for a rich and satisfying fruit smoothie.
Fresh coconut milk can also be used to make coconut milk kefir. The instructions are the same as making regular milk kefir only you will have to soak the kefir grains in dairy milk in between batches of coconut milk kefir. This will keep the kefir grains living so they can keep producing live and healthy cultures.
At OxyLift we are crazy about coconut beauty products:
If it isn’t already obvious from reading this post, coconuts are awesome! They are especially amazing when transformed into coconut beauty products. We even use coconut in our Hydrating Anti-Aging Face Mask, one of OxyLift’s newest beauty products!